The Unguided Journey
2 June 2014 ~ The Impervious Slumber
![]() |
| View from above, on the long, long trip back home. |
The journey is not complete, or so it
would it seem. Over three and a half
years ago I decided that in order to prepare myself for the uncertainty of the
unknown road ahead, and to better focus on my chosen path, I needed to conclude
this Journal. Some time ago, I sat and composed,
what I thought would be, the finale, but it seems as though—by divine
inspiration—I’ve been summoned to embark upon yet another journey down this
self-exploring path of endless discovery.
With the inauguration of a new chapter in the Journal—my third such
venture, and perhaps my magnum opus—I feel the need to turn the heading
somewhat and venture further into the wilderness of the human spirit. The previous Journal and Faithful Comrade series dealt mostly with matters of the heart and approaching the realization
that—despite science—we are not self-made; the ideas therein are purely
subjective and should be treated as such.
In this, my grand dénouement of the entire Period, a time that has
transcended beyond the last 15 years, I want to amplify this aspiring
expedition and expound upon the human nature; that which creates us, that which
makes us servant to society, keepers of the earth, bound by gravity, and driven
by dreams. This Chapter promises to be quite an exhaustive soul-searching
experience, the conditions by which this conclusion of further self exploration
will not be measured by months or years but by growth alone, so for once perhaps
time is on our side.
***
Turn the page, and behold, the next chapter begins anew: the Journey of
Dreams continues. Much of
what needs to be said, will not be just yet; however, I will concede that after
losing my second brother, my inner compass immediately pointed me back to the
‘Journal’ that was concluded nearly four years ago.
In the coming months, perhaps years, I will endeavor to complete what I now feel utterly compelled to do, which is to offer a proper, magnificent and fulfilling conclusion to what has inadvertently become my trio of works in this dark blue period of my life, culminating with the untimely and tragic loss of my baby brother. For now I stand alone, now the oldest child, sole heir to the throne, last descendant of my parents’ bloodline, who are also the oldest siblings of their respective families.
In the coming months, perhaps years, I will endeavor to complete what I now feel utterly compelled to do, which is to offer a proper, magnificent and fulfilling conclusion to what has inadvertently become my trio of works in this dark blue period of my life, culminating with the untimely and tragic loss of my baby brother. For now I stand alone, now the oldest child, sole heir to the throne, last descendant of my parents’ bloodline, who are also the oldest siblings of their respective families.
What God has in store for me is yet to be unveiled, but for now I sit, waiting with love to all, understanding and serenity, and forgiveness to all who’ve deserted me in this hour of need, and so much appreciation for all those who have been there for my family and me, during this most recent heartbreaking loss, and our family’s previous untimely tragedy.
I am still sorting through my emotions and bitterness, but more focused on helping my parents get through this. So until next time, I leave you with the final words offered out of respect to the life of my baby brother.
![]() |
| David's Memorial Card |
![]() |
| David's Memorial Card, inner fold, and back. |
Eulogy of David Dewayne Key
Offered by Nathanael Key, Brother
On 2 May 2014
[EULOGY
AS OFFERED ON 2 MAY 2014]
I never
thought I would be standing up here again, but here we are today… seven years
later.
David Dewayne Key…was one of a kind!
Looking out into this room, it's just a small representation of the number of lives he touched. In David`s short stay with us, he was many things... he was a trusted peer, an amazing friend, a wonderful cousin, a great nephew, a very special and loving son, and my little brother.
David left an everlasting impression with everyone he met. He was one of the most generous souls you could ever meet. There wasn’t a person whose path he crossed, that he didn’t offer to help. He always had that unique twinkle in his eyes that made you feel special, and that half, sideways smile…. Or smirk, in case he was up to no good!
We all have such fond memories of David, which will be treasured eternally. Knowing David, was to know one of the kindest, most lovable, most compassionate, most enduring souls you could ever meet. And for 23 years, I was blessed to have known him, to have been a part of his abbreviated life, and to have shared a part of this Great Journey, in being his brother. Knowing him, was to experience one of God's greatest blessings unfold.... For knowing David, was truly to know one of God's little Angels, who has done his job well and has now been called back home.
Some of my fondest memories of David, are of when he was just a tot... and he would always want me to push him around the neighborhood in his little Flintstone-like car. And as he got a little older and could speak, he used to always call me "Brudder." He always used to ask, in that precious and innocent voice, "Brudder! Um, when you will take me back to the park?" And of course I would have to take him......right then! I just had to put down whatever I was doing to oblige and go play with him... I always felt special when he called me “Brudder” and each time it served to remind me how fortunate I was. It’s funny; I don’t think David knew my name until he was probably, 9 or 10 years old! “You mean your name’s not Brother?”
It's so
funny, even at such a young age he had already stolen our hearts and he knew
exactly what to say to get what he wanted. He was a very smart and crafty
little man.
When he was a baby, I would be in my room trying to play Nintendo, and he would craw back there and want to play with me. I made the mistake once of handing him the controller and letting him play, and from then on, he thought he always had to have the controller. It was never my turn! So, then I thought, I would just hand him an unplugged controller, thinking that would pacify him. Nope! He soon realized his on-screen character wasn’t moving and then he would throw a little fit. He was smart enough to know I was tricking him, and he wasn’t about to have it!
When he was a baby, I would be in my room trying to play Nintendo, and he would craw back there and want to play with me. I made the mistake once of handing him the controller and letting him play, and from then on, he thought he always had to have the controller. It was never my turn! So, then I thought, I would just hand him an unplugged controller, thinking that would pacify him. Nope! He soon realized his on-screen character wasn’t moving and then he would throw a little fit. He was smart enough to know I was tricking him, and he wasn’t about to have it!
Dad always used to work on the cars and David would like to bring out his little Flintstone car, and he would craw under it and start working on it with his little tools. He would have the same grunts and noises and everything that Dad had. Whenever David would get upset with us, he’d pout and stomp off saying, “I’m gonna work on my car!” Then he’d lie on the floor and pull the car over him to tinker with it!
I feel that truly we were in fact the ones who were blessed over the last 23 years... We had the great fortune to get to know David, to make him smile and laugh hysterically, and giggle, and watch him run at top speed on his little tippie toes... We got to hold him, and endure both sad and happy times together, shed tears together, laugh together. Best of all, we got to love him. And in return for all of this, he loved us.
There was a time when I was the baby… the youngest, then in 1990, I became the middle son, and sadly in 2007, I was quickly ushered forward to be the oldest, and now, with much sadness, I am the only one. But regardless of our physical connection to this soil, I know one day, we will again be the family the Good Lord blessed us with over the years.
I'd like to close on a poetic note...
This is the sad and somber setting sun of a beautiful life. Two birds
from the nest have flown to the distant and starry sky... They've ascended
above the dark and shadowy storms to the contrasting and dynamic glow of
orange, amber and purple clouds of the evening sky... To where they are free...
free from the crackle of the storms, the turbulent of the unknown, the falling
beyond control, the masquerade of faith within the depths of the heavy fog, the
dark shadows in the corner, the endless trepidation, the wild array of
existential emotions, and the fierce gravity that once held them tightly to the
snares of the earth.
But what we know to be true... they are forever bound by the stronghold of our collective love for them.
Now we must part with another dear friend, another treasured son, another amazing brother...
You know, at night when you look into the heavens and you see millions of stars, it takes 1000 years for each star’s light to reach us so that we can see it and enjoy its amazement. David had that awesome star appeal and the next time you look up at the evening sky, don’t be surprised if it’s just a little bit brighter.
But what we know to be true... they are forever bound by the stronghold of our collective love for them.
Now we must part with another dear friend, another treasured son, another amazing brother...
You know, at night when you look into the heavens and you see millions of stars, it takes 1000 years for each star’s light to reach us so that we can see it and enjoy its amazement. David had that awesome star appeal and the next time you look up at the evening sky, don’t be surprised if it’s just a little bit brighter.
![]() |
| Sprout your wings, Brothers, From this Altitude you can see & help so many others, My Supermen...for there will never be another. |
***
[“I’ll See You Again” By Westlife Plays]
(Tribute video may be
viewed HERE.)
Until next time…
NK
(Comments are always welcome…)






No comments:
Post a Comment